Welcome to A Complete Balearic Journey - Session 33 - Summer 2013, the third in a series of all new adventures taking you (the listener) on a voyage through the seasons and sound. I feel that each season has its own unique sound, a sub-genre that provides an aural feel of what our other senses experience.
SUMMER (strangely enough) returned with a week of heat and humidity, though it's clear to see that Autumn is close as the leaves are already beginning to turn colors. Somewhere a voice that was once so very distant is calling out that the party is over and it's time to say goodbye. As the Summer 2013 season nears an end, the word EPIC comes to mind. For this has truly been an EPIC Summer not only on THE MAGIC ISLAND but also with the record amount of festivals and events that have taken place, each one better and bigger than ever before, drawing hundreds of thousands of EDM fans. In fact this Summer may very well go down in history as the one when EDM conquered the world.
As we leave IBIZA behind, let's cherish the golden memories and know that WE have all been changed for the better. WE have come to truly understand the meaning of ONE world - ONE people - ONE love - just ONE. In this uncertain time of escalating world crisis, I cannot think of a better way of living one’s life and spreading the universal message of ONE. WE are the children of TOMORROW and WE will change the WORLD.
TRANCE carries with it an undeniable message of absolute PURE love. WE as a family have all experienced this LOVE, whether it is at the nightclubs, events, festivals, tours, etc. The time is NOW that WE take this message to EVERY being on this planet that WE scream it out: LOVE . . . ! LOVE . . . ! LOVE . . . ! My dear fans and friends, that is all, that is the only way that is the sacred message of The Universe. On the grand scale of things WE are smaller than even the tiniest sub-atomic particle, yet WE were granted existence and given two of the most precious gifts that The Universe has to offer: COMPASSION & LOVE . . . make good use of them.
SUMMER also brings A COMPLETE BALEARIC JOURNEY in a truly EPIC way. In fact, A Complete Balearic Journey - Session 33 - Summer 2013 - DJ WOLF e. will be a full six hours in length and a morning on The Beach.
OUR journey begins at 6:00 a.m., continuing DOWNWARDS until WE reach the very END. This is it my dear fans, WE have spent an evening on THE TERRACE, a night at THE CLUB, and now WE travel to THE BEACH and bathe in the glorious Sun and cerulean blue waters of THE MAGIC ISLAND one last time (at least until next year). This is it, THE END, where YOU will experience the most emotional tracks that I have to offer, featuring three full hours of MORNING MUSIC . . . ! Balearic TRANCE, progressive TRANCE, progressive HOUSE, Balearic HOUSE, HOUSE, beach HOUSE, classic Balearic Beat, MORNING MUSIC and CHILL provide the appropriate background for this VERY SPECIAL journey.
I absolutely adore down trips, they are perhaps my most favorite part of a journey, for they are indeed the most expressive and the most capable of inducing that magic exchange of energy. Down trip sets require so much more planning and work since they are all about track placement in order to deliver the MOST EMOTIONAL impact possible. They are a true joy, and I sincerely hope that YOU will receive all that I am giving of myself.
Look how far WE have come, One and one still is, One Moon, One star, I love the one WE are . . .
Last year WE went EPIC and this Summer WE are going beyond EPIC . . . ! I work all year to deliver the most outstanding Summer Sessions to YOU, and I've been putting together a journey that YOU will always remember . . . ! MY FANS, this was YOUR soundtrack to a magic Summer on Ibiza . . . ! Prepare YOURSELF . . . !
If YOU are interested in finding out more information about Balearic Beat and MORNING MUSIC, check out KU Ibiza Best Years at: https://www.facebook.com/kuibiza
There is something about being up all night and watching the sunrise, especially in the Summer when sunrises tend to be the most vibrant. A sunrise provides me with a feeling that everything is going to be just fine and the day is going to be a good one.
I think my favorite sunrises are the ones that I walked home in after a long night of dancing at "Cocktails - The Pit," a LEGENDARY nightclub located South of Market in San Francisco. It was the early 90’s, back when I could dance for twelve hours and most certainly did, every Friday and Saturday night until the day they closed. I would leave completely exhausted and with my feet oh so sore, yet the Sun adding to the love I was already feeling, softly humming the melodies of the previous night’s music to myself. Special times those were, indeed.
Remember . . . it's all about being OPENMINDED!
Here is the track list :
1. Fallen Tides [Mat Zo Vocal Remix] - Mark Pledger vs. Matt Hardwick featuring Melinda Gareh
2. Last Sunday [Sonorous' Positive Ways Mix] - Sonorous
3. Memories Of Love [Original Mix] - Deep Nights
4. Keep Our Ring [Dance Version] - Sunlounger featuring Stevie Lee Young
5. Listening [Aurosonic Remix] - Aly & Fila featuring Josie
6. The Muse [Steve Brian Remix] - Brave
7. Wonderfooled [Radion 6 Remix] - SHato & Paul Rockseek
8. Forgotten [Club Mix - DJ WOLF e.'s Extended Edit] - Ciaran McAuley & Roly featuring Oonagh
9. Not Giving Up On Love [Extended Version] - Armin van Buuren vs. Sophie Ellis-Bextor
10. I'm Only Human [Original Mix] - Walsh & McAuley featuring Antonia Lucas
11. I Still Remember [MuseArtic Remix - DJ WOLF e.'s Extended Edit] - Matt Darey featuring Kate Louise Smith
12. Your Name [Dance Version] - Sunlounger featuring Lorilee
13. One + One [90's Remake Instrumental] - Loverush UK! vs. Maria Nayler
14. One + One [90's Remake Club Mix] - Loverush UK! vs. Maria Nayler
15. A River Flows In You [EK's Extended Mix - DJ WOLF e.'s Extended Edit] - The Fierce Collective featuring Kiss N Fly
16. The Whistle Song 2010 [EK´s Re-Fresh - DJ WOLF e.'s Extended Edit] - Frankie Knuckles
17. Forgiveness [Eric Kupper Love U Mix] - Wamdue Project featuring Jonathan Mendelsohn
18. Sounds Of My Summer [Janeiro Remix] - Sergey Bogomolof
19. Carry Me Away [Original Mix] - Chris Lake featuring Emma Hewitt
20. Surfacing [Rize & 7th Heaven Remix] - Belle
21. Blind [Frankie Knuckles Vocal - DJ WOLF e.'s Extended Edit] - Hercules And Love Affair featuring Antony Hegarty
22. (Who) Keeps Changing Your Mind 2010 [Daniel Bovie & Roy Rox Remix] - South Street Player
23. The Way It Is [EK Ultimate Piano Dub - DJ WOLF e.'s Extended Edit] - Eric Chase
24. Take On Me [Fonzerelli Nu Disco Mix - DJ WOLF e.'s Extended Edit] - A-Ha
25. Summertime Sadness [Asadinho Dub] - Lana Del Ray
26. Sunrise [W&D Beauty Morning Mix] - W&D
What follows is my end of Summer tribute to Ku, but first some history . . .
If you've ever visited Privilege on one of the big nights, a Manumission or a Supermartxe, it's hard to believe that such a monstrous clubbing destination could have been spawned from a simple swimming pool and restaurant space.
Throughout the 1970's, this place was an inland sea of tranquility and haunt for locals and those in the know around Sant Rafel, with piratically no hint at the pizzazz that was to follow. In many ways, the contrast with what has happened since, represents the classic scenario of the conflict between those bygone, old Ibicenco memories (that lovers of the island both search and cherish) and the things and events that superseded them . . . and in the process lead to the reason why many of us are here today.
Possibly the biggest single factor in the subsequent history of Ku occurred at the end of the 70's, when Basque entrepreneur and former Real Sociedad footballer, Jose Antonio Santamaría, expanded his Ku franchise from an existing Ku club in San Sebastian. From here, spontaneous parties began and a culture of high fashion, hedonism and excess spiraled Ku into the 1980's where it garnered fame as arguably the most reputed nightclub in the world. Amongst those in the know, it certainly picked up where Studio 54 had left off (after its demise in the early 80's) as the playground of the rich and famous.
Alongside Santamaría, Brasilio de Oliviera (founder of La Troya) and Gorri were two of the most influential parts of the creative machine in the early parties. The party concepts and fiestas that now typically form part of the La Troya season were born at Ku during the 80's : White Full Moon, Babylonia, The Temple of Love, Hell, Prison, as well as parties celebrating the four elements, the four seasons, parts of the body or specific inspirational places like Goa or Africa. Ku also held children's parties, Somos Como Niños (Translation: We're like Kids), which Brasilio would also later use as a theme for La Troya fiestas.
During the 80's, Ku was mobbed by fashionistas and popstars, you almost knew the names before you heard them : Roman Polanski, Grace Jones, Freddie Mercury and designers like Valentino, Moschino and Gaultier. The swimming pool area and small bar by now had a proper discoteca and various bars dotted around the complex, many in the same place they are today, such as the Coco Loco and the bars in the gardens. The white arched frames holding the club's canopy is still very much part of the integral design and structure of the current club, most noticeably in the restuarant area, Coco Loco and La Vaca.
While neighbor Amnesia went on to gain particular notoriety thanks to DJ Alfredo's sessions, and the adventures of the famous London boys (Oakenfold, Rampling, et al), Ku was always something slightly different. The dimensions have long been a key factor, open air or with roof, this location is vast and dwarfs anything that even Ibiza has to offer. It combines the maze like layout and hidden corners of Pacha, with the decadent, botanical feel of Es Paradis. In its heyday, not even Pacha could compete with the way it attracted the celebrities. Freddie Mercury and Montserrt Caballe famously filmed the video for their anthem "Barcelona" here in 1987.
The beginning of the end, in many ways, came towards the end of the 80's just as the dance music scene really exploded in the U.K. and other parts of Europe.
Compelled to put a roof on the building by local authorities to comply with sound restrictions, the cost of such a task proved too heavy a weight to bear and crippled Santamaría and his Ku associates, particularly after the initial installation collapsed in 1990. Santamaría was then implicated in a big narcotics case that was being investigated at the time and although never proven guilty, he found himself ever more deeply embroiled in allegations and the political games of chess surrounding it. His political ties, combined with previous fame as a local footballer and renowned businessman, made him a target for ETA and he was eventually assassinated in 1992 in his home town of San Sebastian.
Ku, now with permanent roof structure, entered a purgatory-like period in the early part of the 90's when everything that had represented what Ku was about slowly disappeared and the electronic music revolution quickly gathered pace. Ironically, many of changes that spelled the end for Ku evolved into the iconic symbols in the new era of the club and the arrival of foreign promoters to the venue. Most specifically, the perhaps ghastly looking, but grandiose and breathtaking huge fans located at the back of the club, stood as testament to the scale of the place and are certainly the first thing I remember seeing upon entering the club for the first time.
By the early to mid-90's, British promoters particularly had invaded the island and Ku was one of the most popular destinations for their parties; Manumission, most notoriously from 1994, as well as Cream, who did many of their early events here. As late as 1995, the club was still known as Ku before the name change to Privilege the same year, the Anglicized name giving no hint to the Basque origin of new owner, Jose María Etxaniz.
The 90's, mainly thanks to Manumission, rocked as hard as they could given the circumstances. There was no more open air set-up and there were lots more people (never has there been more people at this place than for Manumission in the late 90's) but the hedonism and excess and wild nature of what had gone before, continued. It was not just the sex show, which the Mish became most famous for, it was the outlandish production and costumes, the other worldly themes, it was Fatboy Slim DJing in the toilet, it was the fact the toilets had a DJ at all, it was the Coco Loco madness till 9:00 or 10:00 am. In those morning hours, there may have been a roof on the place, but as the Sun streamed through the windows of the Coco Loco and then the Main Room, the spirit of Ku was alive . . . and kicking like a bastard . . . !
The story since is too contemporary for us to continue here, a huge screen for projections has replaced the 25m windows at the back of the Main Room that allowed the Sun to radiate through in the mornings. The sun is not even up sometimes by the time the club closes these days. The historic footprints of Ku are everywhere in Privilege; the basic layout, the garden areas and the Coco Loco, the swimming pool still adorned with Ku under it's water and perhaps most potently, the statue of Ku (the ancient Hawaiian God) whose presence still guards over the fiction like history of the club.
This set is dedicated to my best friend, mentor and now manager, the legendary DJ Mark Vallese . . .
27. Only Music Survives [Mix 1] - Alba
28. Life Dance [Disco Mix] - Sonia Belolo
29. High Above The Clouds [Celestial Version] - Narada Michael Walden
30. Endless Road [Special Re-Mixed Version - DJ WOLF e.'s Extended Edit] - Time Bandits
31. It's My Life [Extended Version] - Talk Talk
32. Wishful Thinking [Extended Version] - China Crisis
33. Masterpiece [Vocal] - Gazebo
34. Lose Your Love [Extended Version] - Blancmange
35. Typical [Extended Mix] - Frazier Chorus
36. Victim [Remix] - Candi Staton (EXCLUSIVE)
37. Forever [Original Twelve Inch Version] - Susanne Meals
38. American Love [Original Mix - DJ WOLF e.'s Extended Edit] - Rose Laurens
39. Heaven's Here [Mount Olympus Mix] - Holly Johnson
40. With All My Might [Vocal Extended Club Mix] - Sparks
41. Hold Me Now [Extended Version] - Thompson Twins
42. Survivor [Original Twelve Inch Version] - Mike Francis
43. Close To Perfection [Original Twelve Inch Version] - Miquel Brown
44. When Your Heart Is Weak [Dance Mix] - Cock Robin
45. Don't Cry [In Full] - Boy George
46. Mesmerise Me [Album Version] - Maureen
47. Features Of Love [Club Mix] - Mike Francis
48. Human [Extended Version] - The Human League
49. Be Soft With Me Tonight [Extended Club Mix] - Gloria Gaynor
50. Joy [Album Version - DJ WOLF e.'s Extended Edit] - The Lightning Seeds
51. Love Of My Own [Twelve Inch Version] - Thomas Anders
52. (outro) a morning on THE BEACH side of life [Downtempo Version - DJ WOLF e.'s Extended Re-Edit] - Roger Shah presents Sunlounger
There YOU have it, eighteen hours of music, 154 tracks, spanning 5 decades. From an evening on THE TERRACE to a night at THE CLUB to a morning on THE BEACH . . . A Complete Balearic Journey.
I hope that this Summer was as magic and special for YOU as it was for me . . .
I recommend listening to the Summer Sessions (31 - 33) in order, allowing YOU to experience the complete journey and full emotional impact. Eighteen full hours is a lot, though worth every moment. This is truly when I am at my best, long journeys full of ups and downs, twists and turns, happiness and sadness (along with every emotion in-between). I've never been one to play a four set starting at 140 bpm and ending at the same tempo. I understand that many fans of TRANCE enjoy those epic sets, and they do have their rightful place, though I feel a true artist is one who can manipulate his or hers audience emotions and create a very special magic. Most artists of this genre don't seem to feel the need or for that matter have the time. It takes an innate knowing, an understanding . . . Kudos to the artists / DJ's who are capable of such journeys, for they are The Wizard who possesses the true magic.
Thank you all for your continued support. Much LOVE and RESPECT to you, my loyal fans, and please take the time to like The Official DJ WOLF e. Fan Page at : http://www.facebook.com/pages/DJ-WOLF-e/113152778706171 and my Sound Cloud page at: http://soundcloud.com/dj-wolf-e
All My Best . . .
DJ WOLF e.
BALEARIC is not just a SOUND - BALEARIC is a way of LIFE
of , which is